Prevent autorun.inf Viruses from Infecting Your Pc
Prevention is better than cure.
Here are some examples of autorun viruses which rely on the autorun function of Windows to infect PC’s and flash drives.
Funny UST Scandal.avi.exe (latest one in the Philippines)
taga lipa are
strawberry from baguio
W32/Perlovga (copy.exe | host.exe)
VBS_RESULOWS.A (Hacked by Godzilla, Hacked by Moozilla)
w32automa worm (Autorun.vbs)
Trojan.Win32.VB.atg | Win32/Dzan | Worm_vb.bnr (tel.xls.exe | mmc.exe)
Worm.Win32.Delf.bf | W32.Fujacks (spoclsv.exe)
Trojan.Win32.VB.ayo [AVP] (Macromedia_Setup.exe)
Trojan.VBS.DeltreeY.b#1 (Destrukto!!! | destrukto.vbs)
To prevent these kinds of viruses on infecting your PC, you need to disable autorun function in your computer, unfortunately, just shutting down autoplay is not a fix. You might think that you could protect yourself from AutoRun by adding two (2) keys to your Registry (NoDriveAutoRun and NoDriveTypeAutoRun) but these keys can be overridden by some programs.
Solution is here:
1. Start Notepad [Start Menu-All Programs-Accessories-Notepad] or right-click any empty space in your desktop then select New-Text Document
2. Copy the following text. (note: Everything in between the square brackets should be in one line)
3. Save the file with a name (anything) like DisableAutoRun.reg (The extension .reg is the important part)
4. Double Click your newly created registry file. Choose yes or continue to the warning that will appear.
But what if you are already infected with the virus? There are several programs on the internet that you can download. Here are some of those programs that can be helpful:
Taga Lipa Are Remover (or Noob Killer) by Leerz (<--click to download) NOOB KILLER can also cure some variant of those viruses listed above. Baguio Strawberry Removal Tool also by Leerz
Here's another one:
Flash Disinfector by sUBs (<--click to download) You can also use RRT or Remove Restriction Tool if the virus make changes to the system restriction. These restriction are most often:
1. Task Manager - Disable Ctrl+Alt+Del
2. Disable Folder Options
3. Disable Show hidden files
4. Disable the Run Command
6. Internet Options
Hope these information help you.
Maybe someone can send me the Funny UST Scandal.avi.exe virus along with the autorun.inf.